The Difference Between Adult and Baby Skin
Baby skin is different to adult skin in its structure, composition and function. It has low barrier reserve1 and needs special care.2
Recognise that baby skin barrier is vulnerable:
- More permeable
- More prone to dryness
- Less mature
- Continues to develop beyond the age of two
- Potentially more vulnerable to applied substances1
Baby skin is far more vulnerable than adult skin and needs extra protection.
- Stamatas. 2011. Int J Cosmetic Sci.: 17-24.
- Cork. 2009. J Invest Dermatol.World Health Organization. Integrating Early Childhood Development (ECD) activities into Nutrition Programmes in Emergencies. Why, What and How. 2014;1-16.
- Hlela C. Benefits of emollient use for prevention of dermatitis and skin barrier breakdown.
- Nikolovski J et al. 2009. J Invest Dermatol.